Friday, August 10, 2012

String Games Inquiry


Back in the spring Paul Allison invited me to hang out in an episode of Teachers Teaching Teachers on String Games.  On the show Fred Mindlin taught us string games and shared his string game stories.



I shared that evening about the finger knitting the kindergartners and I used to work on, and I just haven't gotten string off my mind ever since!  Finally this week at the UNC Charlote Writing Project Partnership Institute,  I had the opportunity to explore with other teachers some of the thinking I've been doing in the last few months.    On Monday as a way to find some common ground around the idea of inquiry, I brought some string, a little James Paul Gee and my daybook. Here's how we spent the session:

Getting Some String... Finding some string, tying

Writing into Session:  What do you know about string games what do they remind you of?

Learning a simple string game- The Saki Cup (scroll to page 14)


               Modeling
               Exploring, trying, failing, collaborating, sharing expertise, using resources, etc



               Explore links and videos




                                    



               Extending to other games/ideas based on expertise in room

Reading of and Responding to Gee, Good Video Games and Good Learning
GeeGood Learning                             

 Discuss in small groups: What elements of learning did we engage in figuring out a string game?  What about inquiry?

Closing: Learning Narratives
Peter Kittle’s unicyle video as mentor text (How does Peter narrate his inquiry?)

Writing out of session: 
            Personal narrative of inquiry experience.  What was it like to engage in string games    today?  Narrate your experience. 


1 comment:

  1. Hi Lacy--Thanks so much for your enthusiastic embrace of string for learning! I'm honored to have been an inspiration. It's interesting that you link to Grandma Margaret's video--it's one of my favorites, there's something so real and straightforward about her approach. And then you cite Peter's wonderful digital story exploration, another mentor text I return to regularly.
    Can you share any of the reflections that came out of the group? What did people notice and share?
    Warm regards, Fred

    ReplyDelete